By Phil Amara & Oliver Chin
Illustrated by Juan Calle
Flexibound, 122 pages, 2020
“Immigrants and their children continue to enrich our nation’s culture. Discover important chapters of American history and the marvelous accomplishments of these groundbreaking pioneers.”
Created by comic book artist and editor Philip Amara and children’s author Oliver Chin, this book was borne of the anti-Asian racism during the COVID pandemic. It made me appreciate the contributions of many Asian Americans who came before us.
Though illustrated to attract young readers, it’s written for all ages.
Filipinos will appreciate the first female Olympic diver in two competitions and our famous Lea Salonga who won a Tony for “Ms Saigon” and sang in Disney’s “Aladdin” and “Mulan”.
Featured in the book chronologically with their country of origin
- Tyrus Wong -artist (China)
- Sono Osato – dancer (Japan)
- Dr Sammy Lee – diver and doctor (Korea)
- Yuri Kochiyama – activist (Japan)
- Daniel K. Inouye – soldier & statesman (Japan)
- Victoria Manalo Draves – Olympic gold medal diver (Philippines)
- Bruce Lee – martial artist & actor Hong Kong)
- Dr Flossie Wong-Staal – biologist & virologist (China)
- Dr Steven Chu – physicist & teacher (China)
- Shahid Khan – Engineer & CEO (Pakistan)
- Helen Zia – author & activist (China)
- Dolly Gee – federal judge (China)
- Dr Jane Luu – astronomer (Vietnam)
- Satya Nadella – technologist & CEO Microsoft (India)
- Lea Salonga – singer (Philippines)
- Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson – wrestler & actor (Samoan)
- David Chang – chef & restaurateur (Korea)
- Mindy Kaling – writer, actress, producer (India)
- Chrissy Tiegen – model & entrepreneur (Thailand)
20. Jeremy Lin – NBA basketball player (China)
See the YouTube video on IvyDigest.